M.Eng./PG Diploma in Water Resources Engineering and Management
The Programme conduct-ed by the UNESCO Madanjeet Centre for South Asia Water Management (UMCSAWM) attached to the Department of Civil Engineering, has been designed to teach Water Management in a regional context and intends to provide participants from a wide range of backgrounds a firm grounding in the principles, techniques, issues and practice of Water Resource Engineering and Management. In addition to formal classroom-based activities, the programme includes laboratory and field based studies, both individual and group work.
Intended Course Modules:
- Integrated Water Resources Management
- Concepts of Irrigation and Irrigation Water Management
- Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for Planning and Management
- River and Estuary Hydraulics
- Water Resources Project Planning and Management
- Research Methods for Water Resources Engineering and Management
- Water Quality Management
- Climate change impacts and adaptation options for Water Resource Management
- Disaster Risk Assessment, Reduction and Mitigation
- Advanced GIS for Water Resources Management
- Coastal Engineering and Management
- Water Pollution Control
- Computer Applications in Irrigation and Drainage
- Groundwater Engineering and Management
M.Eng (Full Time)12 months
M.Eng (Part Time) 21 months
PG Dip (Part Time) 12 months
- The Degree of Bachelor of Science in Engineering of the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka in a relevant field with a minimum of one year relevant experience
- The Degree of Bachelor of Applied Science of the University of Sri Lanka, Katubedda Campus in a relevant field with a minimum of one year relevant experience
- Any other Engineering Degree in a relevant field as judged by the faculty, and equivalent to (a) above with a minimum of one year relevant experience.
- At least the Associate Membership of a recognized professional Engineering Institute in a relevant field with a minimum of two years appropriate experience
- If English is not the medium of Instruction in the first Degree of the candidate, TOEFL (a minimum of 500 points in paper-based, 173 in computer-based, or 61 in internet-based test) or IELTS (a minimum of 5.0 in Academic version) scores or equivalent.
: Note: Qualifications as judged by the faculty and approved by the Senate, and valid experience after obtaining relevant qualifications.
Date of Commencement :
Fridays & Saturdays (08:30-17:30)
Laboratory/Field work may be arranged on other weekdays.
Prof. N. T. Sohan Wijesekera
For application forms and further details please contact:
Dr. R. L. H. Lalith Rajapakse
M.Eng. / P.G Diploma in Water Resources Engineering and Management
Department of Civil Engineering University of Moratuwa
Tel.:+94-(0)11-2650567 (Ext. 2116)